10 Best Python IDE’s for Developers 2020
Top Python IDEs for Windows and Linux
An IDE is a program that integrates the various tools that specially designed for software development. It is a coding tool, which stands for Integrated Development Environment. It allows you to write code, test code and debugging the code very easily. As, it provides the code insight by highlighting, debugging tools, resource management.
It is much better than as compared to a text editor and also makes your coding more comfortable. The popular Python IDEs in today’s market are Spyder, PyCharm, Atom, Pydev, Wing, Eric Python, Rodeo, Jupyter Notebook, Thonny, and Visual Studio.
The descriptions of Python IDEs are as follows:
Spyder is an open-source, powerful Python IDE, which is completely written in Python. It was introduced by Pierre Raybaut in 2009. It is also called the Scientific Python Development IDE. It is originated by scientists and entirely for data analysts, scientists, and engineers.
It has the ability of advanced editing, analysis, debugging, and profiling functionality of the development tool that includes the interactive execution of a scientific package. Additionally, it is also used as a PyQt5 extension library and offers developers to construct upon its functionality and embed its components like the interactive console, in their PyQt software.
· It provides the features of auto code completion and syntax highlighting.
· It is entirely comfortable with multiple language editor along with its functions.
· It is supportable for Windows, QT, Mac OS, LINUX, etc.
· It has the ability to search and edit the variables from the graphical user interface itself.
· It is very useful in finding and removing the restrictions for enhancing the code performance.
· Furthermore, it is very efficient in tracing each step of the script execution by a powerful debugger.
· Its performance can be slow if several plugins are invoked at the same time.
· It cannot configure which warning the developer wants to disable.
PyCharm is one of the most significant IDEs for Python. It is a specific Python IDE, which is developed by the Czech company JetBrains. It is a cross-platform, integrated development environment. It can be run any of the Windows, Linux, or Mac operating systems. It allows the developers to write a well-formed and maintainable code.
Moreover, it provides help for the developers to be more productive and smart assistance. It is beneficial for the routine task by saving time and enhance profit accordingly. For professional developers, it allows price US $ 199 per user.
· It is considered as an intelligent code editor, fast and safe refactoring, and smart code.
· It provides the features for debugging, profiling, remote development, testing the code, and tools of the database.
· It helps the developers to auto code completion, quick fixing, error detection, etc.
· Moreover, it also supports cross-platform development feature, which is beneficial for the developers to write a code on different platforms as well.
· PyCharm is a costly IDE while examining the features and tools it provides to the client.
· The installation may be initially challenging and sometimes hang up between while installing.
Thonny is an open-source IDEs for the beginners to learn Python development who have no prior Python experience. It is very simple in terms of features that are easily understandable for the new developers. It provides the facility for the users to use the virtual environment. It supports code completion and highlights syntax errors and also provides a simple debugger, by which you can run the program step-by-step.
· Thonny allows the users to check how the programs and shell commands affect the python variables.
· It supports the good representation of function calls, auto code completion, and highlighting errors.
· It is very simple to debug the code in Thonny by using F5, F6, and F7 function keys.
· It provides a simple graphical user interface that is easily understandable to the users.
· It allows the user to change the mode for explaining the reference.
· The creation of Thonny is truly slow, and it has no many features which are lacking for developers.
· Also, it has a lack of support for templates.
Atom is a desktop application that is constructed through web technology, including plugin support that is built in Node.js. It is made by GitHub, and it is based on the Electron framework. It can be used as an IDE, and it works on cross-platform editing, thus increases the performance of its users.
· Atom allows users to customize its user interface.
· It is very simple to use.
· It comes with a built-in package manager and file system browser.
· It provides help for the user to write a faster script with flexible automation.
· Furthermore, it also supports multiple pane features, find and replace text across an application.
· Atom tabs are clumsy, and sometimes it reduces the performance and loads slowly.
· As it’s a browser-based app, so it takes a long time to sort the configurations and plugins.
5. Jupyter Notebook:
Jupyter is a web application that is based on the server-client structure, and it has the ability to create and manipulate notebook documents. It was introduced in 2014. It is simple and easy to use with an interactive data science environment across many programming languages. It doesn’t only work like an IDE, but also works as a presentation tool.
· Jupyter is perfect for those who are starting the project on data science.
· It supports markdowns and allows you to add HTML components from images to videos.
· It offers you to see and edit your code to create powerful presentations.
· Moreover, you can also convert your complete work into PDF and HTML files, or you can just export it as a .py file.
· Jupyter has a lot of hidden magic, leading to complex and untraceable interactions with other libraries.
· People who learned with Jupyter notebooks have little confusion about understanding how to actual programs work.
The wing is a widely usable and effective IDE in today’s market. It was introduced by Wingware, and it comes with a lot of functionalities that help the developers for python development. It provides 30-day trial version for the developers, and its prices $95 to $179 per user for commercial use.
· It provides automatic Multi-process, child process, remote debug process and refactoring, etc.
· It has the ability to test-driven development with pytest, unit test, and Django testing framework.
· It supports an extract function that is under the refactor panel, and it also helps the developers for increasing performance.
· It is more beneficial in case of the expiration of the trial version, and it offers approximately 10 minutes to the developers for migrating their application.
· Initially, wing user interface can be intimidating for the developers, and the commercial version of Wing is very costly.
· It has no ability to support dark themes through which many developers do not like to use it.
PyDev IDE is created by Alex Totic in 2003, which is used for Python development. Its primary focuses on the analysis of code, debugging in the graphical pattern, refactoring of python code, etc.
It is an open-source package that works as a plugin for an eclipse to enable it for Python development. As it’s a plugin for the eclipse, so it becomes more adjustable for the developers to use it.
· It provides more features like type hinting, debugging, refactoring, and code analysis.
· It supports PyLint integration, interactive console, remote debugger, and unit test integration, etc.
· It permits you to a powerful syntax high lighting, code folding, parser errors, and multi-language support.
· Furthermore, it also supports black formatter, virtual environments, Mypy, and analyzing f-strings.
· If the large application comes with multiple plugins, then the performance of PyDev IDE decreases.
· Sometimes it creates problems in the development of the application, and plugins become irregular in PyDev.
Rodeo is one of the most significant IDEs for python that was created for data science- related tasks such as fetching data and information from various resources.
It supports cross-platform functionality and also can be used to an integrated development environment for experimenting effectively.
· Rodeo provides clicks and point the directories, visual file navigator, and package search that makes it easier for a developer to fulfill their requirements.
· It is a lightweight tool and highly customization that makes it unique.
· It has Vim, Emacs mode, and also has both text editor and me Python console.
· Furthermore, it is also capable of auto-update to its latest version.
· Rodeo is not maintained correctly.
· It does not provide extended service support from the company staff in case of issues.
9. Eric Python:
Eric Python is an editor that is used for non-professional and professional activities. It is developed in Python. It provides a simple extension to the IDE functions as it has an integrated plugin system. The source code of Eric is available free, and it can be studied and recreated by anybody.
· Eric supports web browsers, and spells check library, which reduces errors.
· It provides an advanced project management facility, version control, integrated class browser, source code, and cooperation functions.
· It allows you to integrated support for unit tests, googles protobuf, and CORBA.
· Furthermore, it also supports localization and provides rope refactoring tools for development.
· The performance and productivity of the IDE decrease when the developers try to integrate several plugins at the same time.
· It does not have a simple graphical user interface, and sometimes, its installation becomes awkward.
10. Visual Studio Code:
Visual Studio is one of the best choices for python developers, and mainly it is produced for the debugging of the latest web and cloud projects and development. It is an open-source code editor. Moreover, it has the ability to combine the editor and useful development features very easily.
· Visual Studio Code permits the developers to use many plugins that can get from the VS code marketplace for its customization.
· It provides a powerful debugger by which the user can debug code from the editor itself.
· It supports multi-language and various other functionalities that provide help for the developers.
· Furthermore, it allows the use of multi-split window features and vertical orientation.
· Visual studio code is very slow for Searching.
· Initially, it takes a lot of time to launch.